Civil Contingencies Policy Branch (CCPB) of OFMDFM works across the public sector to promote and encourage the development of effective emergency preparedness to mitigate the effects of a civil emergency on the public and the environment. This objective is progressed in a number of ways, including the provision of an overarching framework of civil contingencies policy, guidance and advice.
This is informed by, and promoted through, close and ongoing liaison with key contacts in NI Civil Service departments, the emergency services, local government and other stakeholders within the UK and Ireland.
CCPB also provides the secretariat function for the Civil Contingencies Group (Northern Ireland) (CCG(NI)), the principal strategic civil contingencies preparedness body for the public sector chaired by the Head of the NI Civil Service and comprising senior level membership from key civil contingencies stakeholders.
In addition to its preparedness agenda, CCPB also facilitates the effective delivery of the strategic crisis management arrangements, which includes supporting CCG(NI) in its emergency decision making role when responding to the most serious types of emergencies.
As part of its role to promote and encourage good civil contingencies practice, CCPB has produced a range of guidance documents - see below in Publications.
For further information on these documents contact CCPB on:
phone: 028 9052 8461 or
- The Northern Ireland Civil Contingencies Framework (PDF 652 KB)
- A Guide to Emergency Planning Arrangements in Northern Ireland (PDF 728KB)
- A Guide to Risk Assessment in Northern Ireland (PDF 272KB)
- A Guide to Plan Preparation (PDF 1.28 MB)
- A Guide to Evacuation in Northern Ireland (PDF 784.08 KB)
- Northern Ireland Standards in Civil Protection (PDF 2.23 MB)
- Dealing with emergencies - nidirect website
- UK Emergency Response Planning
- Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI)
- NI Ambulance Service
- NI Fire and Rescue Service
- Maritime and Coastguard Agency
- Met Office Severe Weather
- Public Health Agency for Northern Ireland
- Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA)
If you require further information you can contact the Civil Contingencies Policy Branch:
Block A, level 5
Belfast BT4 3SR
Belfast BT4 3SR
phone: 028 9052 8461