Victims and Survivors Service
In this section you will find the latest information on the establishment of the new Victims and Survivors Service.
Independent Assessment Report on the Victims and Survivors Service (VSS)
In November 2013, the First Minister and deputy First Minister tasked the Commissioner for Victims and Survivors Kathryn Stone OBE to carry out an independent assessment of the Victims and Survivors Service (VSS), with specific reference to the process of the Individual Needs Review (INR).
The Terms of Reference (Appendix D) for the Independent Assessment covered four mains areas of the work of the VSS:
- Interactions with individuals
- Interactions with groups
- Governance, strategy and policy
- Management of people, resources and information
WKM Solutions were commissioned to assess areas 1 and 2, while the Chartered Institute of Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) assessed areas 3 and 4.
Download the final reports
You can download the assessment reports, terms of reference and advice from the Commissioner at the links below.
- Independent Assessment of the Victims and Survivors Service (VSS) - Advice from Victims Commissioner (PDF 60KB)
- Independent Assessment of the Victims and Survivors Service (VSS) - Appendix A WKM Solutions (PDF 195KB)
- Independent Assessment of the Victims and Survivors Service (VSS) - Appendix B CIPFA (PDF 622KB)
- Independent Assessment of the Victims and Survivors Service (VSS) - Appendix C Chronology of events (PDF 58KB)
- Independent Assessment of the Victims and Survivors Service (VSS) - Appendix D Terms of Reference (PDF 63KB)
About the Victims and Survivors Service
The new Victims and Survivors Service (VSS) became operational on 2 April 2012. The service provides support for all victims and survivors - those who belong to victims groups and those who do not. It listens and responds to the needs of victims and survivors.
Support will be provided to victims and survivors based on identified and agreed need.
The following key principles apply to the new service:
- better co-ordination of funding
- more efficient use of resources
- to make use of and improve upon good practice in the sector
- to obtain better information on outputs
- to collate information on individual needs, and
- better evaluation of service provided
- August 2009 – Consultation paper on a Victims and Survivors Service published
- 8 December 2009 - Strategy for Victims and Survivors (PDF 356KB) published
Victims and Survivors Service contact details
- phone: 028 9027 9100
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The VSS also has a temporary website:
For media enquiries contact the VSS Press Office on 028 9027 9104.