We are responsible for the promotion of equality of opportunity (stemming from statutory obligations arising from Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998) and the promotion of a culture of rights and responsibilities (stemming from the Human Rights Act 1998) within the Northern Ireland Civil Service.
In terms of Equality, we are responsible for:
- providing advice and support to Departmental policy colleagues in taking their statutory duties into account in developing policies and procedures;
- providing advice, support and challenge to departmental equality units with regard to exercising their statutory duties; acting as a central point of contact for advice and guidance between the Northern Ireland departments and the Equality Commission;
- monitoring the implementation of the Departmental Equality Scheme and reporting on progress to the Director and Departmental Board on a quarterly basis; and
- co-ordinating the Department’s Annual Report on Progress to the Equality Commission.
- OFMDFM promotes the use of a joint equality and human rights template in its screening of policies. The template is attached here
The Northern Ireland Act 1998
Find out about Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998.
Contact: Dale Heaney
Head of Equality & Human Rights