The Programme for Government 2011-15 commits the Executive to publish and implement a Childcare Strategy with key actions to provide integrated and affordable childcare.
Bright Start - A Strategic Framework and Key First Actions
Bright Start - The Executive's Programme for Affordable and Integrated Childcare (A Strategic Framework and Key First Actions) sets out the framework, principles and a range of key first actions to help deliver the Executive’s vision for childcare. It allows for further engagement to take place with key stakeholders to inform the final Childcare Strategy to be published in 2014.
Bright Start sets out the broad direction of travel for the Childcare Strategy and identifies 15 key first actions that will be put in place to address the main priorities identified during consultation and research.
You can access the document at the link below:
School Age Childcare Grant Scheme
The Bright Start School Age Childcare Grant Scheme was launched on the 27 March 2014. The Grant Scheme has been developed to deliver the Key First Actions 1,2 and 5 of Bright Start.
The Grant Scheme is being administered by the Health and Social Care Board. You can access the application form and guidance notes at the link below.
In December 2012, OFMDFM published 'Towards a Childcare Strategy' for consultation. The consultation closed on 5 March 2013. During the consultation period, the Department received 65 written responses and organised a series of public consultation events.
You can download the consultation document, a summary of the written responses and a summary of the main issues raised at the public consultation events using the links below.
- Towards a Childcare Strategy - consultation document (PDF 213KB)
- Towards a Childcare Strategy - summary of written responses to public consultation (PDF 34KB)
- Towards a Childcare Strategy - summary of main issues raised at public consultation events (PDF 47KB)
- RSM McClure Watters Childcare Research (PDF 2.64MB)
- Childminding in Northern Ireland: an exploration of practice, quality and the impact of vertical placements on children (PDF 4.07MB)
- Believe in Childcare? (NICEM/Barnardos) (Barnardos website)
- Believe in Childcare? Briefing Paper (Barnardos website)
For further information please contact:
Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister
Belfast BT4 3SR
Belfast BT4 3SR
Telephone:028 9052 2904 or 028 9052 8659
- DHSSPS’s Family Support website
- Northern Ireland Childminders Association website
- PlayBoard website
- Early Years Organisation website
- Employers for Childcare website
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website
- Northern Ireland Council for Ethnic Minorities
- Barnardo's Northern Ireland
- Equality Commission Northern Ireland