European Policy and Co-ordination
EPCU provides a central policy and co-ordination role in relation to the European Union (EU).
European Priorities for Northern Ireland
The Northern Ireland Executive agreed its European Priorities 2013-14 and European Priorities 2012-13 Implementation Report on 19 September 2013.
You can access the documents from the European Priorities page at the link below.
About the European Policy and Co-ordination Unit (EPCU)
EPCU helps Northern Ireland fulfil its EU responsibilities and develop a positive approach to participation in the European Union. This involves:
- Leading on the development of the Executive Committee’s strategic approach to Europe.
- Maintaining effective liaison arrangements with Whitehall, the Scottish and Welsh devolved administrations, the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs, the Department of the Taoiseach and across NICS departments on European matters.
- Monitoring the transposition of European directives.
The European Policy and Co-ordination Unit (EPCU) along with the Office of the Northern Ireland Executive in Brussels (ONIEB) constitutes the European Division of the Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister.
The Unit was also responsible for promoting European networking by administering Measure 4.1 ‘Networking in Europe and Beyond’ - of the Peace II Programme. Read more about European networking.
The Division is led by Gerry Mulligan, Director of the ONIEB, based in the Brussels Office.
EPCU officials are based in Belfast, including:
- Head of Unit (Grade 7) - Paul Geddis
- Deputy Head of Unit (Deputy Principal) - Michael Harkin
- Strategy and Policy Liaison (Staff Officer) - Patricia Davidson
- Departmental Policy Co-ordinator (Executive Officer II) - Damien Montgomery
- Administrative Support (Administrative Officer) - Stephen Dunlop
The Unit operates within an annual baseline budget of £220,000, £212,000 of which is used to cover staff salary costs.
Contact the EPCU
The EPCU can be contacted by post, by phone, by fax or by email.
European Policy and Co-ordination Unit (EPCU)
Belfast BT4 3SR
Belfast BT4 3SR
By phone 028 9052 3125
By fax 028 9052 3499
By email firstname.lastname@example.org